nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apricot rootstocks

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apricot rootstocks
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:38:59 -0400

My only experience with apricots is Puget Gold grafted to St. Julian "A" rootstock. I've planted two, one in a friend's yard in Cambridge, Mass., and one in my yard 20 miles further west.

It has good bud hardiness - I got decent fruit set after the swelling buds were hit with frost. Something bad happened to it last year, as it dropped all its fruit, but the something might have been insect damage - the ones I cut open all had worms inside. My friend's started to fruit in its second year, took the third year off, and has produced fruit every year since. Lots of fruit.

Don Yellman wrote that it's a late bloomer, too. To quote from an e- mail he sent this list in 2002:
One other feature of the P.G. that truly delights me is that
it began to bloom three weeks later than the Tomcots (March 31 vs. March
9). . . I don't know whether to attribute this late-blooming phenomenon to the

cultivar, the rootstock, or orchard placement, although the tree is on
the warmer, upper part of my slope, which should have made it bloom
earlier than Tomcot. Whatever the cause, I hope this tendency
continues, as this bloom time difference can be critical to growing
apricots in my location.

I can't speak to disease problems, although I haven't noticed any spots or rot on this tree - it's one of the cleaner looking plants in my yard. But it's also probably to only apricot within 20 miles. :-) (And something made it drop its fruit last year.)

Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6