nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Trouble in paradise? (apple tree)

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Trouble in paradise? (apple tree)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:48:09 -0400

I've never had borers so I didn't really check. I didn't notice any holes but I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.
I was thinking that some nice spring day I may flop down beside the tree and clean away any dead bark that I find. Maybe cut a clean line around the edges to help healing, if that's possible. I suppose borer damage would then be right there looking me in the face.
I'll wait to see what other advice gets offered. Right now there is about 2 feet of snow in the yard and it's going to 8 below zero tomorrow night. No flopping on the ground for a while.

Steve

Amanda Emily wrote:
47DDEADB.5020409@gmail.com" type="cite">
A shot in the dark, but did you check for borers?

When I first moved into this house a few years ago, one of the apples
trees in the yard had bark problems exactly like your last photo and it
turned out to be a borer infestation.

Amanda Emily
z5, Colville, WA

Steve wrote:

Last of all, here is a picture of the lower trunk. This is the north
side, directly below the bad branches. I certainly assume this is the
source of the problem:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df24b3127cceb36cc2d7dbf100000035103AaNmrJi4Ze

After the picture, I did a little poking around and I believe the bark
is alive right at the soil line and below. There seems to be a dead zone
where it looks bad in the picture. Don't suggest that it is lawnmower
damage. I'm the only one who mows the area and I DO NOT touch the trees
with the mower. I'm thinking it is simply some disease which is very bad
news for this tree. I'm expecting the affected branches to be dead this
spring. I will not know for sure until at least 2 more months. So what
happened here? Is there anything I can try, to salvage the remaining
part of the tree?

Steve in the Adirondacks (zone 4 on the map, zone 3 in real life).