nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Trouble in paradise? (apple tree)

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Trouble in paradise? (apple tree)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:58:48 -0400

This could be old borer damage.  I do have extensive experience with borers (to my great regret).  Generally the borers killed my whole tree, but an occasional tree which had only one borer would recover, and the old tunnel eventually broke down, leaving a gap in the bark rather like your picture.  My suggestion - when the weather warms up - is to go out with a sharp knife and cut the bark away above the cleft in the bark and see whether there is a tunnel extending up the trunk (maybe even with a fat grub at the end) Active borer infestation is actually pretty easy to detect - there is a yellow-brown frass coming out of the hole(s) which is pretty obvious once one looks for it.  If there is nothing above, you may need to go down - borers may go several inches below ground level.  If it is borers be aware that the lifecycle may be up to 3 years, if you have them in one tree they are likely to be in neighbouring trees (the moths are pretty lazy and don't travel far before laying their eggs, so they generally infect neighbouring trees rather than skipping to the other side of the orchard), and that the commonly suggested control measure of poking a wire into the hole doesn't work because the holes are frequently crooked and the wire gets caught up in a bend.