nafex - [NAFEX] Asian Pears in Idaho Falls, ID

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Asian Pears in Idaho Falls, ID
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:26:22 -0700

I received this request for information:
I live in Idaho Falls, idaho and am looking for an asian pear tree that will grow well here.  have seen a few in town, we live about 3 miles out.

have had the tougher skinned pears, skin is bitter, and the whiter more transparent skinned pear, where everything is sweet.  Could the latter pear grow successfully in our area?

I have never seen an asian pear tree at a nursery here.  Would you please help me in this matter.  i really like to eat them.

Connie Bowcutt

Anyone familiar with this area and can tell me how to respond to this person?  I am assuming that they are talking about the Shinseiki or Nijisseiki Asian pear.

Thanks,
Bob
Western Washington