nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hardy kiwi homicide

  • From: lovehd@comcast.net (Hal Love)
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hardy kiwi homicide
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:43:30 +0000

I have had cats attack and damage A. polygama, A. kolomikta, and most recently A. macrosperma. The damage is typically a twisted, mangled trunk, which only happens when they are still quite small. I have grown many other species of Actinidia, and I have never seen this happen to any others. Three essential oils, dihydronepetalactone, iridomyrmecin, and dihydroactinidiolid seem to be responsible for the catnip response.

The damage from cats has been pretty much insignificant compared to the damage I got from deer this past summer, which seem to favor young Actinidia shoots. Last year during the extreme drought, the starving deer twisted off several trunks up to 3/8 inch diameter on some argutas, and kept mowing down new shoots from vines trying to regenerate from the Easter freeze that killed them all to the ground. I am installing electric fencing this spring.

Hal

From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
About 10 years ago I planted 2 Hardy Kiwis in the Springtime. When I went out to coach them along a few days later, I noticed that something had chewed the hell out of them. Nothing else got touched; only the Kiwis. They were chewed to oblivion.
    Now I have a new job with a bunch of Ukrainians. We were comparing notes on various plants, and Hardy Kiwis came up. He said, "Make sure you cover the baby Kiwi plants with a cage, or the cats will eat it. They love it". What a flashback that gave me. That must be it. My wife has always had a cat, and the garden is a favorite haunt.

Has anybody else heard of this Feline Kiwi Assassin? I'm inclined to believe him, as his comment was totally unprovoked. I had not mentioned my chewed plants at all !!!

Murph