nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Citrus Trees in Pots? & Texas Citrus on Trifoliate Rootstock

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Citrus Trees in Pots? & Texas Citrus on Trifoliate Rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 7:02:47 -0500

...... Original Message .......
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 01:55:40 -0500 Linda Sherman
<brazoshomestead@gmail.com> wrote:
. . .
>Does anyone have experience keeping citrus trees with trifoliate
>rootstock in a pot?

When I moved to Massachusetts 10 years ago a friend gave me a Myers lemon
grafted onto trifoliate rootstock in a pot.

I plant it in the ground each spring, and put it back into its pot in the
fall and move it to my dining room. It likes a lot of sun, so it's
outdoors roughly when my oaks have leaves (shading the dining room window.)

Last fall it suffered both deer damage and cold injury, and since then the
rootstoch has grown some shoots (which I've rubbed off) but that's how I
learned the rootstock was trifoliate.

I've found it to be a relatively low maintanance plant (except for its
annual trip) except that sometimes it suffers shock when I move it and
loses all its leaves. It has always come back, though. Perhaps for this
reason it has stayed small and very manageable.

Most years I get a couple of lemons from it. When it is in bloom my dining
room smells wonderful.

___
Ginda

zone 6