nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honey Locust

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honey Locust
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 11:29:08 -0500

This is very interesting because I was about to ask about their nitrogen fixing capabilities. I had read they had no nodulation and thus it was unknown as to whether there was any nitrogen fixation happening.

Does the Calhous variety come true from seed and would it be possible to obtain some? This might make a nice addition to the perennial peanut planting I'm working on. I seldom see a locust tree around here, but there are a few so I'm pretty sure they'll tolerate the climate.

.....Alan.

From: Hector Black <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
We've grown honey locust for 25 years. Calhoun has been the most productive for us, producing very large pods regularly. Milwood has smaller pods and fewer. There may be quite a bit of variation in different areas. I believe Calhoun came from Georgia, near Villa Rica northwest from Atlanta. TVA was interested in them for fermentation in to alcohol for fuel, but found there was some chemical inhibitor in the pods. They ferment, but do not change all the sugar to alcohol. Seems like animals like the pods if they're ground up.
I also read that no one knew how their nitrogen fixing capability worked. (They are legumes). No nodules to be found. Seems they have a more primitive relationship with the nitrogen fixing bacteria on the roots, and nodules don't form but they're there and do improve the soil.
Hector Black zone 6, middle TN