nafex - Re: [NAFEX] So close....strawberries

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] So close....strawberries
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 09:11:46 -0600

Rivka wrote:
"it provided protection to lowgrowing perennials etc. by covering them, and some protection to trees by keeping the roots at a more consistent temperature.

You're sure right.  It's interesting the different cultural practices needed, that most of you folks probably already know, but I'm still learning.  I remember some time back I asked questions about mulching strawberries in winter.  Some folks from up north said there was no need.  Some from further south said their strawberries looked worse when they mulched them.  I didn't cover mine and they look pretty terrible (although they don't look so bad they won't bounce back).  My conclusion: people up north, even though it's colder, get plenty of snow to insulate their plants.  Those down south (like us)don't get the snow cover, but don't get quite as cold as here, so they don't need to cover with mulch.  We're in the "sweet-spot" just cold and windy enough to freeze you're plants unless their mulched.

Mark
KS