nafex - [NAFEX] So close....strawberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] So close....strawberries
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 08:02:08 -0600

Mark wrote, " My conclusion: people up north, even though it's colder, get plenty of snow to insulate their plants."

Mark,
A year ago, I got no snow here in North Central Minnesota. The frost penetrated down 6', more is some places. I hadn't covered my strawberries; I never do. The plants were just as healthy as ever and I got the same amount of berries that I normally get. Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about with people thinking they need to cover their strawberry plants. You know, it is really difficult to kill a strawberry plant.
Could it be......................I have a soil test done every year to keep my strawberries at optimal fertility. Could it be that strawberry patches that aren't maintained at proper levels of fertility are the ones that need winter protection? Possibility?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: