nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Maple

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Maple
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:15:11 -0800

The only Birch syrup I've seen commercially comes from Alaska, in limited
amounts, and you're right - with shipping it's a little spendy. In addition
to trees mentioned, you can tap and make syrup from Butternut, Alder and
Sugar Pine.

The Shagbark and Poplar syrups one company sells are made as Lucky
describes, using the bark rather than sap. I've tried the shagbark, and
didn't care for the flavor. The terms I might use to describe what I
remember of it - strong, smoky - may sound appealing, but it really didn't
work for my palate. I like darker maple syrups - C grade, even - but not
this. Your mileage may vary.

Too warm down here in the Sacramento Valley, I think, to try sugaring/syrup
making (well, except from sorghum, and malted grain syrups). Our foothill
farmers have tried it, with success short of commercial viability. I've a
place up at 7500 feet, plenty cold enough, maybe I can find a sugar pine
candidate up there. Spring is in late August up there - how would I know
when the sap runs?

~ Stephen