nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rootstock Heights

  • From: "Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rootstock Heights
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 06:46:45 -0600

Is there a website or catalog that lists how tall
fruit trees grow on various rootstocks?
Doreen

Doreeen,
When I see this question, I usually refer folks to Ed
Laivo's online article about "Dwarf Tree?! But it's
so BIG!"
It's funny, but there's a lot of truth in it.
http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/all_ed/teds_head06_dwarf.html

A couple of my favorite passages from Ed's article:
"What about the semi-dwarf that says clearly on the
label that it only grows 12 to 18 feet tall? Does the
average customer have a clue what 12 to 18 vertical
feet is? I don’t think so. If they did, then they
would question how 12 to 18 feet could possibly be
considered manageable in an average backyard. A
single story house is 12 to 15 feet tall. Does the
average person want a tree as big as a house in their
yard? I don’t think so. Maybe an honest tree label
would read: CAUTION, Semi-dwarf: May get as big as a
house! Please prune to avoid this problem.
I guess that would make the Standard sized tree label
read: CAUTION, standard: Will get as big as an
apartment complex. Please purchase separate property
for planting"

"The fact is, it’s you who will determine to what
size the tree will grow.
You have total control of the size of your tree."