nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Looking for Canadian sources of old French apples

  • From: Drevniok <colleendaly@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Looking for Canadian sources of old French apples
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:25:51 -0500

Hi,

I receive scions from the Canadian Clonal Genebank. Margie Luffman provides an invaluable service; her email
address is: luffmanm@agr.gc.ca

About 3 years ago I received a listing of all the apples they have in their collection. Ask Margie where/how to get it.

sincerely,

Peter Drevniok,
Gatineau, Quebec

Claude Jolicoeur wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't have any of the varieties you are seeking except the Court-pendu Plat - however, it is not hardy in my location and although it does survive, it doesn't grow any wood that I could collect and send you. Some of the varieties you are seeking were in the collection of the late Fred Janson who lived in Ontario and should still be available in Canada. These include:
Calville Rouge (d'automne however), Court-pendu Plat, and Drap d'Or.

I also note that Belle fille is a synonym of Reinette Grise, Rambour d'été a synonym of Summer Rambo, Rambour d'hiver of Winter Rambo, and Reinette musquée of Margil - all those are known in N.America and it should be possible to find them.

Have you tried the Canadian Clonal Genebank? The curator, Margie Luffman, sometimes writes in this list and you should be able to find her email address in the archives.

I am afraid I am not very helpful, but hopefully this will nevertheless help a little bit...

Claude Jolicoeur
Quebec