nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Vaccinium ovatum -slow fruit

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Vaccinium ovatum -slow fruit
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:56:22 -0800

Arbutus unedo blooms in midwinter and its fruits take a year to ripen. I think some of the citrus take even longer. Someone near here grows them along a fence with a glass roof above them. I have bought trees from him but have not had fruit.

I also have never had fruit on Vaccinium ovatum. I wonder if I have it in too much shade - I have it on the north side of some apples and filberts.

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers