nafex - [NAFEX] Vaccinium ovatum

  • From: Mark and Piper <piper33@verizon.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Vaccinium ovatum
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 05:52:37 -0800

I have been growing Vaccinium ovatum, the evergreen huckleberry, for the past 3 years. It is starting to produce bunches of berries now. I tried them last September when they looked ripe, but they had little flavor then and were sour. They are still hanging on the branches now in February. They have been exposed to freezing weather all winter. The cold has improved the quality of the fruit. Now they are sweet and fruity. They are the only fruit I am picking now in the garden. I do have some lingonberries hanging on the bush, but they are past their prime. It will be a few months until any other berry is ready to pick. A strange thing about Vaccinium ovatum is that it is also currently in bloom. I was giving a friend a tour of my garden a few weeks ago, and she pointed out the fact that Vaccinium ovatum requires a whole year to develop fruit. That's what I call slow food. The only plant I grow that can top this feat is my Italian Stone tree. It takes two years to develop pinenuts.
-Mark Lee, Edmonds