nafex - Re: [NAFEX] storing scion wood frozen

  • From: hollaus@comcast.net (R F Hollaus)
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] storing scion wood frozen
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:14:42 +0000

Hi Derry,
RE: scion/wood, In your reply to Alexander you wrote,
>I've never thought of freezing s/w, but I have had
>a problem with the buds swelling on the Japanese
>plums and Prunus mumes in a cooler (2-4°C)
>
>Are you freezing Prunus too?

Although I can only speak for myself and about sour cherry.
I successfully tried a grafting experiment where the scions
were stored outdoors on the tree and above the snow with
while experiencing record low temperatures. The before
results were loaded here with more detail;
http://home.comcast.net/~hollaus/Far_North/winter.htm

You also stated,
>I'm in zone 7-8 PNW.

I live there too and on the bottom right of each page shows
Fort Vancouver WA where and when (3-31-06) the grafting
took place which was about a day after collecting it, and
here is what they looked like growing,
http://home.comcast.net/~hollaus/Far_North/spring.htm
I'm sure the prunus you have won't take the abuse of the
above examples but I'm sure somebody will tell you that
yours will easily take 20F in a freezer by November.

R.F. Hollaus.