nafex - Re: [NAFEX] E-mail programmes other than Outlook Express.

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] E-mail programmes other than Outlook Express.
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 11:00:37 -0600

With Mozilla's Firefox browser, I highly recommend the 'NoScript' extension for increased protection when browsing. It prevents Java and other scripting software from running on a particular website unless you permit it. Since some viruses can be picked up just by browsing a website (or so I hear), that's nice to have.

I use Mozilla's Thunderbird email client, and I'm happy with that. But I'm not sure if it has any more protections than other email software. The problem with Outlook Express - and all Microsoft software - is that it's so common, therefore nearly always the first choice for virus writers. I delete all spam without looking at it (it's usually pretty easy to tell from the title and sender).

Make sure that, in addition to your anti-virus program (I use AVG - there's also a free version available, if you're interested), that you use a firewall. I'm paranoid, so I use a hardware firewall AND a software firewall (the one that comes with the paid version of AVG). Oh, yeah, I use A-Squared Anti-Malware, too. It protects in a slightly different way than the others. You can't be too careful these days.

Good luck!

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
Elsewhere, in a sign that prices for ethanol are reaching all-time highs, President George W. Bush today ordered an armed invasion of Kansas. - Andy Borowitz