nafex - [NAFEX] Mulberry for Canadian border?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulberry for Canadian border?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:10:41 -0600

Ernest Plutko wrote, "I wish I could
grow a mulberry tree on the Canadian border."

I don't remember where I got my Morus alba from but my Illinois Everbearing came from Burnt Ridge Nursery www.burntridgenursery.com . I see they are offering it again this year. They rate it for zone 4 but I bought it because many nurseries hedge on their ratings. Mine has already withstood -38 F.
The fruit from both my Mulberry types taste the same. The M. alba has pea-size fruits and the Illinois Everbearing's fruits are 1' to 1-1/2" long so, this coming Spring, I plan to side-graft the IL Everbearing onto the alba.
I bought my first Mulberry many years ago from a local nursery that propagated them. It was a nice tree but it wasn't self fertile so I never got any fruit. It died after one of my mildest Winters but its survival for as long as it lived gave me the courage to look for a replacement.
When I bought my present Morus alba, the seller insisted I needed a male and a female tree so I bought one of each and planted them close together. As it turned out, I have two females and, unlike my original tree, these produce fruit via parthenogenesis, just like my two IL Everbearing trees do.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: