nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pear vigor

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pear vigor
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:41:40 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Magness is quite fireblight resistant. However, if blight manages to enter
directly into scaffold branches (say via a violent hailstorm), then it is
susceptible.

My tree lived and produced fine pears for about 20 years before this happened
in the high-blight-pressure humid Southeast (N. GA).

Scab has not been a significant problem for me.

As far as vigor, the response to climate must be pretty different in the SE
(Zones 7 & 8) because Asians are consistently more vigorous than the
European-heritage pears here.

Anton
Zone 8