nafex - Re: [NAFEX] some Yacon questions

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] some Yacon questions
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 08:46:11 -0800 (PST)

S.,

I store JA in a zip lock bag (sealed) immediately after harvest and cleaning in the fridge probably around 40 degrees.  Low temp and high humidity seem to work well for me.  If I leave JA unsealed for a day or two, you can see them shrivel.  In the fridge, they last a long time.  I've had bags of them last more than a year.

I store the yacon (eating tubers) just like potatos, room temps and exposed to the air. Keep in mind that the skins wrinkle a bit as they sweeten and we use them up before too long..  The difference, I think,  is that yacon have thicker skins than JA and they improve with a bit of "curing".  You can eat JA unpeeled, but would not want to try yacon that way.  I store the yacon propagative tubers just like the JA so think that there is a good chance the storage/eating tubers might be strable the same way.  I've not tried it.

My JA plants get much larger than the yacon, but both are trouble free so far.

John

S & E Hills <ehills7408@wowway.com> wrote:
I find that Jerusalem Artichokes shrivel and dry rather quickly, does Yacon have the same tendency?

Also, where does one get some (yacon) to try growing?

S. Hills