nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black walnuts and pawpaws

  • From: Diane Porter <dporter@lisco.com>
  • To: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Diane Porter <dporter@lisco.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black walnuts and pawpaws
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:37:05 -0600

Thanks to all who responded to my question last month about growing pawpaws in the vicinity of black walnuts. Most respondents said that pawpaws seem to be growing just fine around black walnuts, especially near creeks.

I had already planted two seedlings last fall in a nice area near our creek, where it is relatively sheltered from wind. I was concerned because there are many black walnuts in the area, and we had cut down a relatively young one growing where the pawpaw roots are probably going to grow.

I think I'll go ahead and buy a grafted tree this year and plant it near the two seedlings. That is if they prove to still be alive in spring. I've protected them from deer, or they would never be able to put out the second leaf, not around here!

So now I've got to select a grafted tree. What varieties of pawpaws are free from the bitter aftertaste I've read about? (I have never tasted a pawpaw.)

I appreciate your words of experience.

Diane Porter, Fairfield, Iowa (Zone 5)