nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Baggers

  • From: sherwindu <sherwindu@comcast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Baggers
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 01:23:08 -0600

Hi Doreen,

I am a member of Nafex and saw your message about Apple Baggers. I was
bagging
apples for several years now. I started using homemade fiberglass netting
attached with wires. That worked very well, but required too much work to
make
the nets. I switched over to plastic zip locks and found they worked just as
well.
I even tried the nylon nets called footsies, with less success on stubborn
insects
like apple maggot and codling moths, who went right through these nets.

I have been using various rootstocks here in the Chicago area. I have
grafted
trees
on Ottawa 3 and Bud 9 and purchased trees on Mark and Ottawa3 rootstocks. All
of these are semi-dwarfs, about 10 feet max. in height. Bud 9 is now a very
commonly available rootstock, although in short supply. Many catalog outlets
do
not
even tell you what rootstock their trees are on (I don't buy from them). Bud
9
works fine, although it may require some staking as the tree matures.

We have about 15 apple trees on a corner city lot. My favorites are Freyburg,
Ashmead Kernel, Hudson Golden Gem, Honeycrisp, Kinsei, Pitmastin Pineapple,
Lubsk Queen, and Golden Russet.

Hope this helps,

Sherwin Dubren
7227 Foster Street