nafex - Re: [NAFEX] soil for sprouting

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] soil for sprouting
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 06:03:20 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Jerry,

Method that I use I learned at Wake Forest Univ greenhouse.  Use any sterile mix, well-dampened, about 2 inches deep in a plant tray.  Sprinkle seeds on the surface.  Sprinkle on a light layer of finely milled peat moss.  Cover the tray with a sheet of kitchen plastic wrap.  Keep at 75-80 degrees - seeds sprout in 3-5 days.  Remove plastic wrap as soon as several sprouts are seen, but don't let the media dry too quickly, keep it away from drafts.  Transplant when seedlings have first true leaves.

Jim