nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Welsh gardeners keen to bite into one of the world's rarest apples

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Welsh gardeners keen to bite into one of the world's rarest apples
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:25:54 -0500 (EST)

I'd be more impressed if more had been said about the fruit quality beyond
"good to eat." However perhaps the reported disease resistance will be
borne out and this apple may prove to be useful in future.

Perhaps also someone will be moved to produce a list of Welsh heritage
apples of quality which I suspect would take a lot of the momentum out of
the "Bardsey apple" phenomenom.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

> I thought some of you would find this story, from a Welsh newspaper, of
> interest (especially about a U.S. nursery having ordered budwood of the
> Bardsey apple. See also http://www.bardseyapple.co.uk/tree.html for
> more info about this apple. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.
>

> Welsh gardeners keen to bite into one of the world's rarest apples
>

> Dec 27 2007 <http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2007/12/27/>
> by Rhodri Clark, Western Mail
>
> ONE of the world's rarest trees has become a must-have for
> green-fingered Welsh patriots.

[snip]