nafex - Re: [NAFEX] FEDCO

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] FEDCO
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:06:32 -0500

Steve wrote;

In a couple mile radius from me I can't think of a farm that still has a

vegetable garden of consequence, and only one old couple that keeps

chickens. The number of farmers who actually dabble in horticulture of any

sort is confined to a few ex-hippy back-to-the-land types.  The rest barely

even consider themselves to be farmers, sad to say--they are commodities

producers.

I know many farmers and the lack of family farm vegetable gardens becomes obvious if you understand their motives and drives.  Farmers are practical, pragmatic people and time is their most precious commodity.  If it is more practical and inexpensive to buy vegetables and fruit they will.  No good farmer worth his corn would spend $100 of his time to end up with $25 worth of produce.  The time invested in a vegetable garden is much better spent on their cash crop.

Farmers are pragmatic and practical to the bone.  The far greater percentages of farmers are not hippies, tree huggers, or eco-zeolots they are simply small business men who work with agriculture.  The law of economics and pragmatism are their model.  Do not look for veggie gardens but “efficiencies” on a well operated farm.

Sure you will find those willing to spend $100 in time for $25 of tangible results but they are not farmers, they are hobbyists’.

Later,

Tom