nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Weird potted citrus problem

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weird potted citrus problem
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:30:19 -0500

On Dec 26, 2007, at 9:40 PM, Donna &/or Kieran wrote:

Ginda,
Citrus don't take cold nearly as well when actively growing., 32
degrees can kill them outright whereas they can normally take 28 or even
down to around 25 when completely dormant. When we were in Florida for the
Dec 89 freeze, my parents trees lost their leaves, but we didn't notice the
cracks in the bark till a few weeks later. The next thing that happened was
that the new growth coming out died, and so they cut back the branches, and
more died so they cut back more. If that starts happening, you might do
just as well to pick a point to cut it down to. I'm sure the roots are fine
so if you have to do this, it will come back out but probably won't bloom
this year. . .

Ouch! I hope that doesn't happen. It's a meyers lemon grafted onto trifoliate orange, so if I cut it back to the root, I've lost it. It died back a lot when I first brought it indoors, and now seems to be growing again, so perhaps there's hope.

Ginda