nafex - [NAFEX] Weird potted citrus problem

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Weird potted citrus problem
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:04:48 -0500

I've had a myers lemon for years. It lives in the yard during the summer, and comes into my dining room in a pot for the winter. This year it had some problems in the yard, the dear decided it was tasty, so it was trying to regrow to replace the missing foliage just when the weather suddenly turned cold. So I got more frost damage than I've ever had on it, even though it wasn't all that cold. Then I brought it indoors, and did a much better job of keeping its root structure than I usually do. (Usually, I lose an awful lot of the fine roots when I repot it at the end of the season.) Then stuff got very busy, and I neglected it for a couple of weeks, so it dried out more than I usually let it dry.

Which is all building up to the weird part. Two weeks ago I watered it very heavily, to re-hydrate the soil. The poor thing is still sort of in "active growth mode", to make up for the deer damage. The next time I looked at it, it had suffered extensive cracking of the bark, apparently from where the wood swelled as it re-hydrated. I've never noticed that before, and I've certainly let it get too dry before. I can only hypothesize that the cracking had something to do with it being in such active growth.

Anyhow, that was two weeks ago, and I can already see some callousing under the cracks, and it continues to grow vigorously - lots of new leaves, shoots, and even some flower buds. I think it's going to be all right. But if anyone has any warnings, suggestions, or insight into what happened, I'd be curious.

Hoping you all had a merry Christmas. Time to go downstairs and play "guitar hero" with my son. :-)

Ginda