nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Weird potted citrus problem

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weird potted citrus problem
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:40:38 -0600

Ginda,
Citrus don't take cold nearly as well when actively growing., 32 degrees can kill them outright whereas they can normally take 28 or even down to around 25 when completely dormant. When we were in Florida for the Dec 89 freeze, my parents trees lost their leaves, but we didn't notice the cracks in the bark till a few weeks later. The next thing that happened was that the new growth coming out died, and so they cut back the branches, and more died so they cut back more. If that starts happening, you might do just as well to pick a point to cut it down to. I'm sure the roots are fine so if you have to do this, it will come back out but probably won't bloom this year. Sounds like it'll do fine though. In future, be sure to consider whether your citrus are quiet and have had some chilly weather, or are actively growing when frosts approach.
I'll give you an example of what hardening off can do. During the drought in the 80's we had had warm weather the entire autumn. In early Dec we got not just our first frost, not just our first freeze, but a really massive cold front headed our way. I didn't cover the kale, after all it had survived subzero temps before. It only got down to 17 degrees that Dec night, and it killed the kale dead. It was a lesson I have not forgotten! Donna