nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Excessive callusing

  • From: "ADAMSON, Karl" <Karl.Adamson@apvma.gov.au>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Excessive callusing
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:50:51 +1100

Thanks Betty,
I've heard this one before but never actually seen an original report of
an incident. Its interesting reading isn't it and the article lends
itself to many more questions into the effects that rootstocks have on
scion material. There are some very interesting reports I've read about
chimerisation/hybridisation (see below link) of scion material following
grafting of very young scions onto rootstocks sometimes of quite
different species. Although as the report suggests it may have been a
toxin manufactured in the leaves and then transported to the fruit.
Really interesting stuff!

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v202/n4938/abs/2021238b0.html

My experiments actually started last summer when I bud grafted resting
eggplant buds on hoping the rootstock would impart some cold resistance
(which it didn't). So this spring I'm bark grafting with mixed success.

Wild tobacco (S. mauritanum) is used commonly in Oz for grafting
eggplants (its fruit are poisonous even when ripe). Mountain Kangaroo
apple (S. linearifolium) has not been used to my knowledge and the fruit
is edible but only when ripe. I'll proceed with caution.

Have a great Xmas all!

Karl

IMPORTANT: This email may contain confidential or privileged information.
If
you are not the addressee you may not copy, use or rely on the contents of
this
email or any attachment. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
transmission.