nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Regulations shipping scionwood interstate

  • From: hollaus@comcast.net (R F Hollaus)
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Regulations shipping scionwood interstate
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:21:16 +0000

Mark States:
I wish there was a simple/do-able policy for the little guy to share plant material.

If you'd like to find out your own state's policy go to:

Type your state in the search bar.

Mark
KS

It takes an education they must think the nurseries have that we don't.
What's changed is the science in the methods of propagation where
cells are being divided in petri dishes at the wholsale nurseries. That
way you have extra insurance that those "new to america" insects you
see in that nationalplantboard link and new viruses won't ruin our
agriculture.

All said, $1,200.00 is the current estimated costs, and the Elisia lab at
WSU Prosser will probably test or clean one plant for you. They will
even sell you a good deal on plum (p. tomentosa) seeds homozygously
selected for visual indicators of viruses. I think every orchard should
have some training in growing them. I love my fruit trees but
unfortunately live near a former orchard and for little cost (other than
my own time) I know where the threats of PDV are in my section of
town.

R. F. Hollaus