nafex - [NAFEX] Rose Hips

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rose Hips
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:24:50 -0600

Stephan Sadler wrote: "Use the rose hips for jelly and tea, on its own or with black or herb tea. Rose hip syrup is nice, too; I like it with sparkling water. Maybe a little bourbon. it's an old Vitamin-C tonic, that. The syrup, not the bourbon"

Stephen,
Here, at Brambleberry Farm, we make alot of rose hip syrup. When we had our lab tests done so we could list contained nutrients on the label, we were surprised at the amount of Vitamin C in the Rose Hip syrup, "nearly negligible." Apparently the boiling that is necessary to leach the flavor out of the hips destroys most of the Vitamin C. It still tastes fantastic but not quite the amount of Vitamin C that we hoped for?
Have you tried our Sweet Sumac syrup yet? Sumac syrup has a taste that resembles a citrus and is one of our better sellers.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Rose Hips, Jim Fruth, 12/16/2007