nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Keepsake Apple

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Keepsake Apple
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:33:05 -0600

If people refused to even taste them, either they had tasted them before and didn't want to try again or, they looked ugly to them or, they just didn't like the name. I'm betting that the biggest reason is the name.

I was wondering why anyone would dislike the name "keepsake," but maybe it just sounds old-fashioned to people, and they're equating that with a softer texture (with so many of the newer varieties - at least, that I find in the grocery store - being very crisp, almost hard).

But I don't see any reason why you couldn't invent your own unique name for any apple you sell. After all, how many people would buy orange roughy fish, in a grocery store or restaurant, if they were still known by their original name, slimehead? :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of science makes skepticism a virtue. - Robert K. Merton