nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hybrid persimmons

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hybrid persimmons
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:16:17 -0600

I've seen those allegations - put forward mainly by John Gordon - that Geneva Long is a hybrid.
I've been growing it for nearly 10 years - it was one of the very first persimmons I ever grafted (got my scions from JHG) - and while it does have big, glossy leaves, there's nothing about the fruit, as it grows here, that makes me think it's anything other than just an average D.virginiana. I've got several Americans that are much better here than is Geneva Long - bigger and tastier fruits.

Mileage may vary.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7