nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cornus capitata

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cornus capitata
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:02:48 -0800

On 28-Nov-07, at 8:56 PM, Donna &/or Kieran wrote:

.. a dogwood tree at the Nashville arboretum, .. it was their Evergreen dogwood, .... How hardy are they supposed to be?

Sunset magazine says they are OK to -9 C (15 F ) but they aren't reliably evergreen. They are from the Himalayas, and though we think of their snowy tops, the lower elevations are home to subtropicals. I don't know the elevation where they grow.

The only ones I have seen are ones my friends have grown from seed. This is always a good way to get a tree that will thrive for you, and all the ones I have seen are growing well here at the southern end of Vancouver Island, though at -10 C even our native trees can take a beating.

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers