nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tasty Japanese hybrid plums for hot and humid areas?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tasty Japanese hybrid plums for hot and humid areas?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:12:21 -0800

I have an old variety that I believe to be one of the old Burbank hybrids. I use the "name" 4285 for the address where I found it. The traits of the tree make it look like some sort of old Santa Rosa hybrid with one or more American species. The original tree was of an age that suggest it came from the old Oregon Nursery Company. It has a growth habit suggestive of an American hybrid, but is much more resistant than other American hybrids like Superior, Toka, etc. I've tried here. It has failed to crop only once in over 35 years. Even in years when Japanese plums were a total loss, it came through. The only other variety that has done as well is Shiro. The trees of the two are similar, though Shiro will get some brown rot when 4285 is clean. The plums are reddish-blue with yellow-orange flesh. Crops are not heavy, but the trees I have are own rooted. 4285 might do better on something like Pixy rootstock.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com