nafex - [NAFEX] Tasty Japanese hybrid plums for hot and humid areas?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tasty Japanese hybrid plums for hot and humid areas?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:13:59 -0500

Richard, I am growing many domestica plums and they seem to be working fine (besides taking a long time to fruit). This last year I got many plums on my French prune and they were wonderful. It is on the Japanese side I am looking for good plums, I like the tang of Japanese plums. Methley is "the" plum for Maryland in terms of popularity and it clearly does very well but I have had a lot of mediocre tasting ones. The Shiro I have is also not super impressive, those plums are a bit bland. The best-tasting Japanese type I have found in this area is Superior.

Scott

A question, have you tried any of the European (domestica) plums, they seem
to to well in the Northeast.

Also, I understand that Methley has shown to be a good producer in Maryland.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com