nafex - [NAFEX] Tastey Japanese Plums

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tastey Japanese Plums
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:44:41 -0500

I bet Ozark Premier would perform in Maryland.  Here it didn't work in a shady location I grew it but was excellent where it got full sun.  The fruit is huge but still very sweet and good.  Methely should also do well and provide you with your earliest plums- that is, if the black-knot doesn't kill it- it's extremely susceptible.  Methely is the toughest redfleshed Japanese plum I know- others tend to suffer some southwest injury here.  I've started painting the trunks white of others.  Methely requires a ton of thinning and tries to bear in huge grape-like clusters- it can be a huge chore if you go for the quality.  Consult with Tom at Adam's County Nursery, he should be of help and ask him about Fortune (the plum not the goddammed apple).  It's a delicious and useful plum here.