nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bird netting

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bird netting
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:35:33 -0600

I finally put in a one foot tall permanent fence of hardware cloth around the
bottom of the blueberry row, and now I drape the netting to overlap a few
inches with the fences. Keeps out the birds without killing anything. And
at one foot tall, it's short enough that it's not much in my way the rest of
the year.

For most of my stuff this year, I put a circle of 3' chickenwire around the plant, then draped the netting over that. It seemed to keep the squirrels out, too, though maybe that's just because they didn't like the few things I had fruiting this year. But the strawberries only had netting, and the squirrels just lifted it up and went underneath.

Your idea of using 1' hardware cloth sounds interesting. On the other hand, I use the same chickenwire circles to protect the plants from rabbits in the winter. It's kind of a pain to set it up and then take it down (twice a year for each), not to mention finding a place to store it in between, but... not too bad, as long as it works.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In each case, Mr Bush made a policy decision back in 2001 based upon false, incomplete, or misleading information and has since fought a rearguard action to prevent either acknowledging these deceptions or their obvious implication - that the 2001 policies should be reversed. - Chris Mooney