nafex - [NAFEX] Tasty Japanese hybrid plums for hot and humid areas?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tasty Japanese hybrid plums for hot and humid areas?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:58:41 -0500

I have been on a plum odyssey here. I started off growing all the California Japanese plums and pluots in my Maryland climate, but I have not had much luck at all with them. Shothole disease has been a big problem, as has been getting crops to set. In particular I have had bad luck with Santa Rosa, Howard Miracle, Elephant Heart, and Wickson, and all pluots. I have had good luck with some as well: Shiro and La Crescent have exhibited good disease resistance and good productivity. These are crosses of Japanese and American plums and so I now feel that is the way to go, but I don't know what the best ones are. I am trying Superior which I know others are having good luck with in my climate, but no crops there yet. I am not trying any of the Georgia or AU selections since I have not heard great comments on their flavor. I take that back, I have heard Rubysweet is very good and was going to try that one. I am also trying the Spring Satin plumcot to see how that works. And, I have heard that Crimson Beauty (another Byron, Georgia selection) is tasty but cannot find a source now. I also plan to try Purple Heart and Gracious: based on my positive experience with La Crescent and Superior, the cold-hardy plums appear to be good bets for me. Comments from growers in hot, humid regions on any of the plums I have mentioned here, or other varieties you have had good luck with are greatly appreciated.

Scott