nafex - Re: [NAFEX] looking for Mericourt and other pears

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] looking for Mericourt and other pears
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:17:26 -0500

Donna, I srongly suggest that you test all the Harrow pears that you can get. They were bred for fireblight resistance and commercial quality.
If HW 605 exists in any U.S. collection you might try to get it. It was not named and distribution ceased because a high percentage of the crop dropped prematurely, but it was reported to be an really excellent winter keeper as well as of high quality. In a homestead situation possibly the drops could be used by livestock.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Donna &/or Kieran wrote:
I've decided that since pears like our soil and apples don't, then I'll just have to find pears that come in early and late and with as much variation as possible. I have some Europeans and some Asians, some have cropped. I have plenty of rootstocks, it seems a shame to order trees but I might wind up doing it. Variety and nursery recommendations would be appreciated. I know Seckel is supposed to be high quality, but I have never really liked the astingency of the skin on those few I've eaten. On the other hand, I guess that would be a plus for making wine. I have seen some incomplete lists of bloom times. Late bloomers would be a good idea. I have these already:
Twentieth Century collected locally, I really like this one
Tenn ditto very nice pear, though it doesn't seem to keep long. Does anyone know anything about it???
Shinko Korean Giant
Ayers bought tree this year
Warren bought tree 12 years ago and it finally bloomed just in time for the Big Easter Freeze
probably Kieffer local source
Duchess one bud took this year
Duchess Bronzee ditto
Magness one small branch
I'd like:
Mericourt - 1938 Tennessee introduction that sounds really good
Winter Nelis
Moonglow? Is it really good? Thanks! Donna