nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re false statement in Vol. 58, Issue 13-? None found

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re false statement in Vol. 58, Issue 13-? None found
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:04:38 -0800 (PST)

No, there was no false statement. Febreze is toxic and
can harm animals.

Next time you decide to look up something on scopes,
you may want to actually read what they say.

With respect to birds, snopes quotes P&G which admits
that you should not place birds in a cage that has
just been sprayed.

With respect to dogs and cats, the ASPCA considers
febreze safe "WHEN USED AS DIRECTED." I would also
note that every chemical poison used for insect
control is also safe when used as directed. That says
nothing about whether the product is otherwise
dangerous.

The problem with febreze, particularly in its earlier
years, is that people did not understand that it is
toxic and were not using it as directed. They were
spraying it in bird cages while the birds were there
and directly sparing it on dogs once or twice a day.
After the internet information became public, more
people became aware of the dangers posed by misusing
febreze and responsible veterinarians who were
familiar with the problem warned their clients not to
misuse it, especially with birds.