nafex - [NAFEX] wood chips

  • From: Jerrydana5@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] wood chips
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:12:53 EST

I recently had the good fortune of having a truck load of fresh wood chips dumped on my property (at my request!)  They are from Poplar Trees (tulip tree) from my neighbor's place who had several very large trees cut down.  The guy doing the cutting said they are no good for mulching until they compost several months because they are too acid.  I was planning on using them on a patch that needs new chips.  But does anyone know:
1.  Is it true they are too acid for mulch when fresh?
2.  Does age take that problem away?
3.  Could I use them for my blueberries, as they seem to constantly need more acid soil?

Jerry in southern Indiana