nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter and trees in pots

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter and trees in pots
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 00:39:13 -0500

I'd say yes, in the garage, close to the house wall if possible.

About 25 years ago a local nurseryman and sometime NAFEX member near here in the Niagara Peninsula in zone 7a with a historic winter low of probably minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit, kept a number of small potted grafted nut trees in an unheated barn over winter before shipping them in the spring. Many did not grow, and his customers including me were annoyed. I have a notion that he may have put them on a wooden floor which allowed cold air access underneath. He doesn't do that anymore.

If you don't want to keep them in a garage you might dig them into your vegetable garden for the winter, with the soil level inside and outside the pots the same.

Sitting the pots on the soil, close together, and piling say leaves thickly over them with plastic to keep the leaves dry and insulating, might work, but then you would creating some nice mouse shelter.

Pots on top of the soil outdoors in areas where there is *reliable* *heavy* snow cover might work. You would depend on the snow cover and it gets less reliable every year. It is usuallt pretty sparse here now.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Randall Burd wrote:
I have a variety of trees in large pots (e.g, apples on M27). I live in zone 6 (New Jersey). In past years, I have brought my trees in the garage to prevent freezing. It's a hassle and the cars don't like the intruders.
Do I really need to bring the trees inside?
Thanks.