nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter and trees in pots

  • From: "Amanda Emily" <amanda@wa-geek.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter and trees in pots
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:27:37 -0800

I have a couple apples in half oak barrels at top end of the driveway
on M26 and Bud9 (mainly to keep people from driving onto the lawn). It
can hit -25F here in Colville at night in the middle of winter and
they come back just fine in the spring after being frozen solid for a
month or two. I don't cover them or offer any protection asides from
having a few holes drilled in the sides of the barrels on the shady
side to allow water to drain out in the early spring.

Apples are a heck of a lot more hardy than people give them credit for.

Now my potted citrus and figs get brought into the heated basement for
the winter :-)

Amanda Emily
Colville, WA (z/5b)