nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Total number of edible fruiits.

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Total number of edible fruiits.
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:40:55 -0400

Sturtevant's Notes on Edible Plants.
It should be available in libraries. There are a number of copies lists for sale on
http://www.bookfinder.com

Personally I am rather sceptical of the notion of a known number of edible plants, partly vecause of the reason that has been brought out in discussion, "edible under what circumstances?" and partly because it assumes that everything that local people or their ancestors know about
edible plants is known to mainstream academics, published and compiled in master lists. That's not the way that science works in practice.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Donna &/or Kieran wrote:
I don't remember how to spell it, but there is an old book called Sturvesants I think that endeavored to list all the known food plants back about 1900. There was a more recent book, Tanaka I think was the guy's name, something like edible plants of the world.

[snip]