nafex - [NAFEX] Honeycrisp quality

  • From: haighal@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeycrisp quality
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:19:31 -0400

     Growers don't just hype an apple in some kind of scam especially not a difficult to grow variety like Honeycrisp.  I eat hundreds of apple varieties and have very strong opinions about taste and while I'm not particulary impressed with Honeycrisp as grown in my part of NY I know a lot of people who are.  It does have a very unusual combination of crunch and juiiciness.  It just lacks the aromatics to give it real character as far as my tastes are concerned (as grown in my neck of the woods).
     The reason NY growers are excited about Honeycrisp is because people are willing to pay more for them.  Even though they have to throw half of them away (as I said, it's no easy apple) they are helping growers hold onto their farms and make real profits for the first time in years over here.  Honeycrisp and Gala may have actually saved the NY apple industry which makes me glad even though I'm not fond of either apple.