nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive

  • From: Bob Hartley <bob@sprucemt.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:46:06 -0500

I have three Autumn Olive cultivars that produce berries much larger than the wild bushes that grow around here. Brilliant Rose and Sparkling Blush came from Hidden Springs and Ruby from One Green World. Yields vary from year to year and from bush to bush. This year I picked about 4 pounds each from Sparkling Blush and Ruby. In each case without moving my feet from one spot. Left the remaining 80% or so for the birds. Brilliant Rose bore somewhat less this year.

A couple of years ago, I sent the following report to the list

I have three named cultivars of autumn olive, obtained from several nurseries. All bore heavily this year. At two dates I averaged the weight of 300 berries from each with the following results:

9/19/05 10/3/05

Ruby 0.28 g 0.34 g (per berry)

Brilliant Rose 0.47 g 0.47 g

Sparkling Blush 0.40 g 0.58 g

I cook the berries & coarse filter the juice. To some I add 3 cups sugar to 4 cups of juice and cook it down for a pretty good jelly. For the rest I add 1/4 cup of Aronia berries and a cup of sugar for each cup of juice before cooking down. The Aronia flavor predominates and is very good with no bitter aftertaste.

Bob Hartley

Adams County, PA z6