nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hybridizing question and the potential to get pollen in spring?

  • From: hollaus@comcast.net (R F Hollaus)
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hybridizing question and the potential to get pollen in spring?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 05:56:16 +0000

Michael,
I tried the obvious just as you say. In a test sweet cherry Lapins will produce a bouquet of flowers but no pollen so I am guessing when trying pin cherry the outcome would be the same. The reverse direction method of sweet cherry pollen to pin cherry is definately possible but rather low takes and the new seed never germinates as easily as a sweet cherry would, so they say (ie. very hard to stratify pin seed).

As well I've already tried storing pollen for 10 months using silca crystal and freezer but that didn't seem good either since by May all little cherries fell but a dozen, and of those none were still there by June 7. The pollen I did Not test out for pollen viability on other pin cherries so I don't now if it was a male or female problem at this point.

What to do?
To overcome the climaic barriers I guess the best plan to go with is to graft your favorite pin cherry to the same place as I'm doing or to buy another pin cherry pot as precisely suggested in another post which I will do. What you get in a hybrid is all up to chance anyways.

Regards,
RFH zone-6
From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>