nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hybridizing question and the potential to get pollen in spring?

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hybridizing question and the potential to get pollen in spring?
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:27:12 -0500

You can do several things. - spraying rest breaking chemicals such as dormex you can cause the flower buds to bloom earlier - You can freeze dry pollen for next year from the later blooming trees up north - and you can buy or dig up a tree that is large enough to produce flowers while it is dormant this winter. In the greenhouse it will bloom earlier than it normally would (if it gets enough winter chilling first.) I believe that Out Back Nursery in Minnesota has Pin Cherry trees for sale.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard