nafex - [NAFEX] IL Everbearing and Soil Tests

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] IL Everbearing and Soil Tests
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:37:58 -0500

Tanis Grif asked: "Did anyone mention soil tests? I wonder how much of the vigorous growth/ regrowth
might be from soil too fertile for best performance?"

Tanis,
Good that you asked that. My Illinois Everbearing grows 4' per year and could well be responding to excess fertilizer. When I get my soil tests back, I mix fertilizer for optimal raspberry production and nearly everything gets the same mixture. What is best for raspberries is excessive for trees and insufficient for vegetables. I say "nearly everything" because acid-loving plants get a different mixture as do troubled areas that need an upgrade. The only problem with excessive fertilizer has affected peaches which tend to not want to harden off early enough in the Fall

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] IL Everbearing and Soil Tests, Jim Fruth, 10/08/2007