nafex - [NAFEX] prunus seed stratification

  • From: waayupnorth <waayupnorth@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] prunus seed stratification
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 07:29:05 -0700 (PDT)

Is stratification effective for whole prunus fruits,
in other words seeds with the flesh and skin still
attached? If so, do the fruits need to be dried
first? For stratification I'm thinking about using a
sand medium. Would the sand need to be sterilized?
If I were to stratify the seeds in plastic bags in a
refrigerator would it be OK to keep the bags sealed?
Why or why not?

Jerry Hapka
Northwest MN
Zone 3a